Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Third Heaven

One of the unique aspects of painting during worship is the time limitation. Working in acrylics allows for making a fully layered painting in a short amount of time. But the (relatively) brief window of opportunity forces me to compose freely and with less deliberation or fussy detail. This painting sketch was completed in about an hour. I didn't have all the details because I didn't spend the time looking up the references to the "third heaven" in which God resides. It is described as a throne surrounded by a rainbow and Elders, sitting on a sea of glass or crystal. There's more but I couldn't remember. This also, unintentionally, resembles an eye. Very often, it is the "unintentional" detail which most speaks to a viewer. You can call it serendipity, chance, blind luck or whatever.... I prefer to think otherwise. If I am yielded, it is quite possible my hand could be guided by a Will other than my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment